Polish schools to remain restricted until June 7 - education ministry

A regulation restricting Polish schools will extend the limitations until June 7, Ministry of Education spokesperson Anna Ostrowska told PAP on Thursday. Deputy Education Minister Maciej Kopec earlier said the rules would be in force until June 26.

Photo PAP/Darek Delmanowicz
Photo PAP/Darek Delmanowicz

Classes were cancelled in Polish schools from March 12 with schooling being done by distance learning since then under social distancing rules introduced to stem the spread of coronavirus. Kindergartens and nursery schools were allowed to re-open from May 6 under restriction-easing measures. 

In a statement sent to PAP, Ostrowska said the restrictions at primary and secondary schools would remain in force until June 7. "Currently schools are functioning in a limited scope," the statement read. "Until May 24, classes are suspended in schools. Students have lessons with the use of distance learning methods and techniques. The regulation being prepared talks about an extension of the restricted functioning until June 7."

The spokeswoman added that from May 18, care and educational classes for children in years one to three would be permitted and teacher consultations will be possible individually or in small groups for year-eight and matriculation exam students. Consultations with teachers will be possible for remaining primary and post-primary students from June 1, she said. 

"For now there is no decision on whether students will study at distance or return to school classes after June 7," Ostrowska continued. "Further opening of schools and educational establishments will be dependent on the epidemiological situation and guidelines of the Ministry of Health and GIS (Chief Sanitary Inspectorate - PAP)." 

Earlier on Thursday, Deputy Education Minister Maciej Kopec told the WP.pl portal that all classes were suspended until the end of the school year, on June 26.(PAP)

ej/mr/
 

See also

  • Education minister Przemysław Czarnek. Photo: PAP / Wojtek Jargiło

    New Education Minister appointed

  • Photo: PAP/Lech Muszyński

    Polish secondary school students start their graduation exams

  • Education minister Dariusz Piontkowski. Photo PAP/Mateusz Marek

    School, kindergarten and creche closure prolonged to May 24 in Poland

  • Silvia Elena Prioae (C) with other members of team Romania during the European Cyber Security Challenge team competition Photo PAP/EPA/URS FLUEELER

    Romania launches first three digital labs in schools - press

Publicly available PAP services